We must not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Moving to China: Phase 2



Not everyone embraces our move in quite the same manner. While many of our closest friends and family support our decision, others make comments like “I wouldn’t visit China if someone gave me an all-expense paid trip.” After excitedly calling one of my closest friends with our news and announcing “We are moving to China.” Her response was “I know. I heard. I’m so worried about you!” Not exactly the response I was hoping for. I’m not waiting on a lifesaving organ or about to take a position in the secret service. I was expecting “Congratulations!” or “How exciting!” Although some of our friends and family are admittedly “worried”, others are enthusiastic!
It’s fun to assess peoples’ facial expressions when you tell them you’re moving to China. During our 2nd garage sale today someone asked “Are you moving?” Casey responded by saying “Yes… to China.” They immediately laughed as if responding to a joke. When they noticed we weren’t laughing they whispered “Seriously!?”
REPLY:
Yep, we are really moving to China.
China, China!
Not China, Tennessee!
… the real China.
For some reason, our junk suddenly became more valuable. Who knew the sales pitch "We are moving to China" would be so successful?
We have officially moved into PHASE 2 of the moving process. We had a second garage sale today (our house is beginning to seem very empty), and we dropped Chester off at his new home.
Saying goodbye to Chester, Phillip’s cat, was difficult for the children today. It broke my heart. They all 3 sat in the van and cried while we handed him over to his new owner. We found a great home for him, but that offers little comfort to children losing their pet. They all expressed that they were still excited about our move, but would miss Chester. However, our evening ended on a good note, and they seemed much better after the brownies and ice cream their Aunt Desiree made them.

We are always getting ready to live but never living. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 comments:

  1. I didn't have any pets when I left for my yearlong travel sabbatical. That would have been very difficult.

    I look forward to reading more about the move and your adventures in China.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited to be subscribed to your blog through my Google Reader. What an amazing adventure you guys are embarking on! I hope you will continue to blog your story and share your experience. And I wish you well. Here's to the learning!
    -Philip C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't kept up with your blog writing for a long time. I'm so glad I caught up tonight. We will miss you dearly, but will look forward to more exciting blogs about your adventures in a far away land.

    ReplyDelete