We must not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Moving to China: Phase 1



I often randomly announce “I love Tennessee summers!” Spring is always a comforting warning that summer is on its way. Tennessee summers are filled with early mornings running through the garden in pajamas, picking the wild blackberries that grow along the wood line behind our house, long, steamy days in the kitchen canning the rewards of our backyard garden, late night movies, swimming, vine-ripened, tomato-butter biscuits, and ice cream. I LOVE TENNESSEE SUMMERS!

I realize we will spend summers in Tennessee, but I must admit reality is setting in. As I stared at the blank walls in my kitchen and the bare mattresses in the children’s bedrooms, my heart skipped a beat. Selling most of your worldly belongings and moving abroad seems quite romantic, until you see your prized possessions being auctioned off for a quarter a piece in a garage sale! We had a garage sale Friday and Saturday in an effort to begin purging our belongings. Casey calls it “phase 1” of the moving process. We have to be out of our house before July 1, so “phase 2” won’t be too far away.

I will be honest, I am holding my heart in my hand and having faith that Chinese autumns, winters and springs will be wonderful! I do feel as if we will gain much more than we are leaving behind, but some type of reassurance would nice. Anyone?

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine

2 comments:

  1. I love you and your committment to experience the world, giving your children eyes to see more than they will ever imagine. It's a gift you are giving them....remember that when the material becomes too close to the heart.

    I can only imagine how it must feel, praying for you and your family:)

    "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love YOU Brittany!! You have always been so supportive! I can't imagine getting through this doctoral program without you! Thank you so much for everything!

    ReplyDelete